The Accountant's Garden

Scheduled non-accounting weeks: April 10-14, 2017 June 12-16, 2017 July 24-28, 2017

Thursday, December 25, 2014

"Buy Organic and Local"

That's the heading of one of the sections in a new book that I am reading, called "The New Health Rules" by Frank Lipman, M.D. and Danielle Claro. It's easier than I expected, each page giving snippets of healthy changes to make in your everyday life. The one I quote above seems quite straightforward, but I thought I would expand on it a bit, as later on this page, the writers urge people to try and eat "hyperlocal" if possible, also known as growing your own food.

That got me thinking, "So, what if I had to produce my own food? What could I grow here, in my own back yard?"

Well, I wouldn't be growing grains, beans (maybe green beans and peas, though), exotic fruits, and certainly not sugar cane. Given the mild climate, there are several possibilities, which include:
  1. Leafy greens - probably everything from lettuces to cruciferous veggies, although pests can be an issue.
  2. Starchy vegetables: potatoes, yams, carrots, and beets.
  3. Poultry: mostly for eggs, but possibly for meat. There is quite a bit of wild game in the area that could be potentially caught and eaten: turkeys, deer, but I don't know how I would feel about cleaning a large catch. I could probably handle fishing once or twice a week, though. 
  4. Goats or sheep - sheep have the allure of producing wool, but I think goats provide more milk. Both could survive by eating the natural vegetation here. A cow would not work out so well, since I don't have a lot of grassland, but someone else might.
  5. Berries, citrus, apples, and stone fruit (that does include almonds). Also seasonal fruits like tomatoes, squash, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, etc.
  6. Tree nuts like walnuts, pecans, and pistachios would probably be okay.
  7. Mushrooms
  8. Honey - I'm not crazy about the idea of keeping bees, but it is possible, and it would be good for keeping plants productive.
  9. Grain: I'm not entirely against the idea of growing grain, as my daughter has proved that you can grow it, and in fact, grow many plants from one. It would just take a lot of space and work to grow enough grain ourselves to have enough flour for bread, pasta, cakes, and cookies. Maybe its better to just eat the wheat berries? 
I can't possible foresee me having enough time or energy to cultivate all those things, but that would be a pretty good variety to choose from, wouldn't it? For now, I think I will content myself by starting to grow alfalfa sprouts again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home