The Accountant's Garden

Scheduled non-accounting weeks: April 10-14, 2017 June 12-16, 2017 July 24-28, 2017

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Year-end Payroll

Every year, an old client of mine calls up and asks me to in to come in and complete his 1099s and W-2s. Now, most companies, big and small, use a payroll service. This particular client, for whatever reason, refuses to do so. This was fine when there were only five of us (and I was a contractor); alas, he continues to use the same Excel worksheet that I created seven (!) years ago for completing payroll.

Today, off I go and I feel like I am in a time warp. They all stay the same there; it's just me that has changed with kids and clients and activities.

I did mean for this to be an accounting post. If you need to issue 1099s to contract labor and/or income received, you have until January 31st to do so. Your employees will be looking for their W-2s by this date also. One cushion you have is that you are supposed to issue the forms to employees and payees by the 31st, but you are allowed a couple weeks before submitting the paperwork to the SSA. Which comes is handy, when people call you claiming that there is a mistake on their issued document.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home