The Accountant's Garden

Scheduled non-accounting weeks: April 10-14, 2017 June 12-16, 2017 July 24-28, 2017

Friday, July 25, 2008

What have I been doing with my time?!?!


One project this summer was to remove the lawn in the front of the house. There were several reasons behind this decision. First, we are being asked to conserve water. Second, we have had an unending problem with dog owners using our front strip of vegetation as a dog toilet. Third, it seemed like a lot of money to pay our "gardeners" - and I use that term liberally - to mow nothing (grass under Oaks doesn't grow very fast) and blow the leaves into spots where they thought I wasn't looking. And lastly, our contractor broke the water controller while fixing our wall (remember the wall that someone drove into/over?) and the lawn died.
So, good-bye lawn with old, crazy sprinklers. Hello drip lines and beautiful drought-resistant plants. Oh, and the plants are deer-resistant and grow well under Oak trees. Shown in various photographs are: Mexican Sage, Catmint, Lamb's Ears, Shasta Daisies, Lavender, and other various Salvia species. I am also digging up some of my Bearded Iris from the back yard, although this is the wrong time of year to do so.

It looks a bit bare, but there are seeds sprouting in there as well - alyssum, poppies, dwarf zinnias, plus cornflowers, statice, and cosmos. Only one dog calling card so far. But it was quite an undertaking, planting all the way from the Doyle's house down to the Abel's house. I didn't ask Mrs. Zito...oops!
Oh, and remember the wall that got run over? Well, it's been rebuilt, thanks to our trusty contractor Stewart Smith. The painters never showed up, though, so I have begun the arduous task of painting the new shingles. I have the primer on...more primer next week and the real paint.

1 Comments:

At 5:48 AM , Blogger tempdisplaced said...

I am in awe of your fortitude!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home