The Accountant's Garden

Scheduled non-accounting weeks: April 10-14, 2017 June 12-16, 2017 July 24-28, 2017

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Recently being criticized by my mother for not being well-read, I've once again started trying to read more serious pieces of literature besides my usual magazines and short articles. I'm not sure if my mother is correct in her critique of my reading experience - I am sure that there are those around me who have read more, and I know that some people have read much less - but I think it is a matter of taste. At first, I felt awkward and low for not have read such things as "Jane Eyre", "Wuthering Heights", and numerous Jane Austen novels. So I borrowed one of these from my mom and asked some others if they had read it. Most of the men had not. I started reading it and was not overwhelmed with a compulsion to read past the first chapter, so I put it down, returning to Dante (also borrowed, from my grandmother).

So, I was wondering, of all my friends out there, which was your favorite book or author? I know that Alex's favorite is "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand (which I also am quite fond of). So, that's one friend of mine with a strong background in Literature. I'm curious to know what my other two well-read friends - you know who you are! - hold dear in their collection of literary works.

1 Comments:

At 9:06 AM , Anonymous michelle said...

Kurt Vonnegut (Anything)
F.Scott Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby)
Julio Cortezar (Short stories!)
Raymond Carver (Anything really, but start with Cathedral)
Jorge Luis Borges (Labyrinths )
Robertson Davies (Any of the trilogies!)
MFK Fisher

Most of my favorite women author's are poets....Which is for anther list I guess.

That would be Alex's favorite author! :)

I think Jane Austen is very good, but she certainly is of a "time"...which can sometimes can drag down the reading experience.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home