The Accountant's Garden

Scheduled non-accounting weeks: April 10-14, 2017 June 12-16, 2017 July 24-28, 2017

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

At the risk of being extremely negative, I have to make a post about today. Today, I had to take my car in for (1) a routine oil change and (2) a diagnosis on the check engine light that periodically keeps turning on in my car. (Note: I personally think this light comes on just so the car manufacturers can get you into the dealership, but I may just be crazy.) The Mazda dealership is located on Broadway and 23rd in Oakland. Not the best neighborhood, but I tried to make the best of it by planning a walk to Lake Merritt and scouting out surrounding cafes before hand.

All started out well until we got to Children's Fairyland, which was closed for the day. The closure was due to rain perhaps...I'm not really sure as it was overcast and predicted to be partly cloudy today. We went to a nearby coffee shop, then walked around the lake. This took about an hour and a half, so I returned to the dealership, as an oil change and diagnosis really shouldn't take that long. Apparently, it takes longer. We left after 3 1/2 hours without any answers about the check engine light and after several strolls around the neighborhood.

I must tell you, West Oakland is really a dump. I mean, I've been in some not-so-great neighborhoods, and Oakland is just pathetic. As I walked past the dozens of "For Lease" signs in store fronts, I had to dodge glass - either from broken bottles of booze or car windows - and other debris. Some of the people I passed on the street were questionable in appearance, at best, and I soon realized that this was not the place to be walking around with your 13-month-old and at 7 months' pregnant. And truth be told, I wasn't even in the worst part of the city.

My sweet husband tells me that I'm too negative, so I will point out some positive outcomes for the day so far. First, the oil did get changed in the car. Second, we are home safely and enjoying our lunch. Third, the spot remover "Shout" did wonders to removed all the stains from E's clothes and linens. With that, I am off to salvage the remains of the day, hopefully by completing some outdoor chores while the little one naps, and baking bread and dinner when she awakens.

1 Comments:

At 4:36 PM , Blogger michelle said...

my day has been negative also witha capital N.
Speaking of broken glass, someone threw something my window last night breaking my big bay window in the front of my house. :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home