The Accountant's Garden

Scheduled non-accounting weeks: April 10-14, 2017 June 12-16, 2017 July 24-28, 2017

Sunday, October 05, 2003

I had an excellent weekend. Although not all the projects I had planned got accomplished, I did make some headway in the garden and finally, finally my house is clean! Saturday morning I began the summer garden clean up effort. Here is a "before" picture:



I removed the zucchini and cucmber plants, tore out the bolting radish plant, and carefully removed the beans and cilantro remains. I left in the tomatoes, as they tend to do well until it gets really cold around here (December/January) and my peppers, eggplant and herbs are still working on production. I also have a volunteer tomato that sprang up a few weeks ago, so I've left it as an experiment to see if it will produce throughout the fall and winter months.



I also spent a good deal of time doing some much-needed maintenance, which included cutting back iris, cleaning off dead growth and just tidying up all the plants. For those of you who are interested, October is typically the month for splitting and re-planting spring-blooming bulbs, including crocus, daffodils, tulips and bearded iris. I divided my bulbs last year, so I held off this year.



After removing the summer plants, I was supposed to fertilize, mulch and plant cool-weather crops, but I ran out of time. Saturday evening I went into the city for a friend's birthday dinner at Buca di Beppo, a nice, family-style Italian restaurant. The food was mostly authentic, and it was a great place for a large party.

Today, I recovered from a late night Saturday and made tomato sauce from my own, home-grown tomatoes. Tonight's dinner: Spaghetti alla pomodoro e spinaci.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home